Monday 5 November 2012

A handbreadth

Tonight I got a handbreadth away from this guy.



This photo of Angus, a 12-month old steer, was taken yesterday, when he wouldn't let me closer than a metre (the grain we gave them yesterday might have helped...)

Tonight, I scraped the last of the grain from the bucket into my hand and held it out for him. He came that close!

It's funny how the brain makes connections. I considered the things that fit across a hand: a baby chicken, a tennis ball, the universe...


Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand,
or with the breadth of his hand marked off the heavens?
Who has held the dust of the earth in a basket,
or weighed the mountains on the scales and the hills in a balance?

This is from Isaiah 40:12, and reminds me, when I'm so close to an animal that could fling me aside without blinking, that there is a God who cares for me, provides for me and loves me - all the time.

Amazing.

2 comments:

  1. Halleluyah !
    He's OUR Father...
    as we let him BE all
    that He wants to be in our lives...
    [from a celebrating Dad]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!
    Addendum: last night I held out grain in my hand and he touched my fingers! Didn't quite eat it yet, but he wanted it!

    ReplyDelete